Monday, December 28, 2015

New York Impressions with my Fuji X-T1

Back from a week of experimenting with soft focus techniques in the woods I was anxious to apply some of what I had been doing to the subject of New York City. The sunrise photo I captured early this morning, the other two were taken before I went away. My favorite camera for this type of work is the Fuji X-T1, usually with just the 18-135mm lens, although the photo of the Chrysler Building was taken with the 55-200mm zoom.

Instead of shooting the images with something over the lens, I applied the technique in Photoshop with a combination of the Clarity plus Blurring tools. To complete the picture I superimposed a city texture over each scene, and then added some of the autochrome technique and noise I discussed in a previous blog. The result is an impressionistic rendering that looks like it might have been done in a Pointillist technique similar to the Fresson printing process.

Click here to download a high res version of this file.

Click here to download a high res version of this file.

4 comments :

1. Wonderful technique and work. I will experiment with my cityscapes too. Were there any particular camera settings you applied to get this look?

ReplyDelete
  2. I generally reduce the color by a -1 or -2, and also change the contrast by brightening the shadows and reducing the highlights. As I mentioned in the post, I often find that the Astia film mode results in more muted colors, which I further reduce in Photoshop.

ReplyDelete