Friday, September 13, 2013

Sony filter adapter for the RX100 and RX100II cameras

The filter adapter for the RX100 and RX100II is now available at most camera stores. I decided to try one out so I could mount 49mm polarizing and close-up filters on my RX100II.

This photo shows the filter adapter in place on an RX100II with a 49mm polarizing filter attached.
The filter mounting kit comes in a box with instructions. It mounts a ring over the lens which then holds a filter adapter so you can mount a filter like the polarizing filter shown above.
"A" in the photo is the actual attachment ring that must be mounted onto the camera around the lens opening. "B" is a guide for placing the ring so it is centered perfectly around the lens. "C" is the actual filter mount that clips onto the adapter ring "A". "D" is a set of pull rings for removing the filter adapter ring if you decide you don't want it. Once removed, it cannot be remounted.
The first step in the process is to clean the mounting area around the lens opening. I used a lint-proof cloth lightly dampened with white vinegar to remove any dirt or oil that might be there. Notice I said "lightly dampened". You only need the cloth to be moist, not soaked. White vinegar is a light acid that is a safe way of cleaning areas that might have grease or oil, as from fingerprints for instance.

The next step is to place the plastic guide, "B", around the lens. After that, you remove the paper backing from the adapter ring and center it in the guide so it sticks to area around the lens. I used some light pressure to make certain I achieved good adhesion. Now you can remove "B" and discard it. Its job is done. The instructions mention that it is best to allow the adhesion between attachment ring and camera to set over-night. Sounds like a good idea to me. This is going to be the something I am going to have to keep an eye on. It protrudes in front of the camera and might be knocked off if you brush the camera up against something or while putting it in your pocket. After I've had it on for awhile, I'll report back how it is doing.

The left photo shows the circular guide in place around the lens and the adapter placed in the center of it. On the right the guide has been removed leaving the attachment ring mounted on the lens mount. 
If for some reason you need to remove the adapter ring, you place the string around it and give a pull using the two finger rings. Once removed, the adapter ring cannot be reattached as the glue would be to weak to hold it securely.
Here is the camera with ring attached around the lens. On the right is a 49mm polarizing filter screwed into the larger filter mount, which clips into a groove around the adapter ring. 
That's it in a nutshell for attaching the filter adapter -- a fairly simple procedure. Now to see how well it works and holds up over time. I'll let you know in a later post after I've tried it for awhile.

Putting it to use:

Following are some sample photos using filters on the RX100II. A small camera such as this has special lens characteristics that are different than a full frame camera and can be used to achieve different looks.

For this image and the two that follow lit my early morning window light I used the Sony filter adapter to mount close-up filters onto the RX100II. Due to the small sensor, the lens is more wide angle resulting in more depth of field. The photo of the key was taken with a +2 close-up filter at f/11.

For this closer view of the watch I switched to a +4 close-up filter, but used an f/2.2 aperture setting for a shallower depth of field. All of these photos were taken at the 10.4mm focal length setting, which is equivalent to ta 28mm wide angle lens on a full frame camera.

The perspective distortion of the glasses shows the effect of using such a wide angle lens for close-up photography, and at f/11 everything is in focus.
Of course the other obvious choice to use with the RX100 would be a polarizing filter, as used here to darken the blue sky, or as in the situation below where I wanted to convert the image to an infrared black and white look and needed a dark blue sky to dramatize the effect.

If you are planning on purchasing this camera or lens, you can help support this site at no extra cost to you by purchasing from one of our affiliate sellers listed below -- and thanks for your support.

The Sony VFA49R1 Filter Adapter for DSC-RX100 series can be ordered from:  BH-Photo  Amazon  

-------------------

In response to a comment below I did some research on a wide angle adapter to fit the RX-100 and came up with the one below. I have not seen or tried the actual item and cannot really say how well it works. If anyone has tried it, please let me know what you thought of it.


There is an auxiliary wide angle lens plus macro attachment made to fit the Sony RX-100.  I have not tried this and cannot vouch for its quality, but you can see it here:  Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II 0.5X High Definition Super Wide Angle Lens w/ Macro   The Sony VFA49R1 has a 49mm filter thread so you many need a step-up ring to use this accessory lens.

5 comments :

  1. Hi Tom:

    Do you like the filter adapt or for the Sony RX 100? Any comments?

    thanks, John

    ReplyDelete
  2. As of today, I have had the filter adapter on the RX 100 for four months. I usually carry the camera in one of my pockets where the adapter is subjected to a lot of rubbing and bumping. It has held up perfectly. - t

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like a great idea....I have the RX-100 and wonder can you suggest an adapter that would fit to give me a super wide angle....I am wanting to take pictures of room interiors for houses and apartments. Thanks. Jono

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a wide angle (plus macro) accessory for the RX-100, but I have not seen or tried the actual device. I left a photo and link to it at the bottom of the post above. If anyone has tried this, I'd like to know how it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Loved your pictures :)

    I'm trying to find out how to work with my polarizing filter for the RX100M2 myself, and was wondering how you know how much polarization is applied. Whenever I turn my filter there's no change on the screen at all...

    ReplyDelete